Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Citizen Motorcyclist reviews the 2014 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Touring.



Harley Davidson developed this motorcycle to provide a touring-like experience to more riders, such as riders who feel the touring machines are too large for them. To be sure, a Road Glide or Electra Glide are large machines. The Dyna Switchback, which I have previously reviewed, is smaller than these machines, but the touring Sportster is smaller still. As with all reviews, I aim to talk about its suitability as a commuting motorcycle.

The bike is a small one. It is also very light, as getting it up and off of the side stand was very easy. The handlebars on my specific test model were a little high and back, but bars can be swapped relatively easily. The seat is comfortable enough, and the top of the windscreen is below my line of sight. Hand controls are within reach of my fingers, and they are quickly mastered. The bike's saddlebags are decent, but smaller than what I would like for commuting. A laptop bag is certainly too large, as are many insulated lunch bags/totes. Several coffee thermoses would fit, so there is a saving grace with caffeine supply.

Out on the road, the performance of the bike does not disappoint. The powerful 1200cc engine on a light frame means the bike moves when that throttle is twisted. I took the bike on a short test ride in an empty parking lot and I found that it has generous lean angles before the peg feelers touch asphalt. The "half-floorboard" pegs are slightly elongated pegs, but comfortable enough with my boots. Their position is standard or mid-mounting, and my legs felt a bit cramped very easily. Street riding did not help matters, as my feet felt like they had to travel a long distance from peg to ground. Still, riding at 45 mph was reasonably comfortable, except for the small leg room.

Highway riding is where I became unhappy with the machine. As speeds went past 60 mph, the wind screen seemed to hinder more than it helped. The wind came off the top of the glass and onto my helmet, buffeting it heavily. It also came around the sides of the windshield and pushed against my torso. This wind pressure, coupled with the cramped seating position, made it an unpleasant experience.

When I voiced these concerns to the dealership salesperson, I was shown an extensive catalog of items that could be used to improve the experience. To be sure, a larger windshield, larger saddlebags, and a different handlebar would have improved the experience, but I would save thousands by starting with a Sportster 1200C and adding the desired items to it, since its pegs are more comfortable to me. I am 5'11", so my dimensions are not what Harley was targeting for the 1200 touring model. A smaller rider would likely have a more enjoyable experience, but the small saddlebag problem would still exist.

My overall opinion is that this bike would not be an ideal commuting motorcycle. I think Harley designed this bike to attract more female riders, or riders whose dimensions are smaller than the riders who prefer their larger machines. I would pick a Road King over this Sportster, but again that is based on opinion and fitness for what I want.

Until next time, keep the rubber side down and your knees in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment